Saturday, December 24, 2016

a couple weeks with a Hackintosh

a couple weeks with a Hackintosh


Every time I look at a Macbook I immediately want one, but I simply cant fathom coughing up so much money for a laptop.  On the other hand, I really like Mac OSX and with a little hacking Ive been able to get Snow Leopard to run 90% perfectly on my little $250 netbook.  Unfortunately, my EeePC 1015PE has an Intel GMA3150 graphics chip which is not currently supported by OSX so there is no graphics acceleration.  But other than the lack of Quartz Extreme and the bling that it offers to the OSX experience, Im loving my Hackintosh!  I cant decide what to call it though; Hackbook Pro, Hackbook Mini, Macbook Nano, Eeemac (thats a little joke for the terminal jockeys out there like me...).
The initial install went smoothly.  There are several methods for using retail install DVDs to get OSX onto a non Mac computer, but I opted to use iAtkos S3 V2 mainly because it came with the option to install with a prepatched kernel for the Atom processor, making my life a little easier, although it definitely transports my Hackintosh install from the grayish area of violation of EULA and lands this install of OSX somewhat on the other side of legality.  I could go and buy a copy of OSX from the Apple Store, patch the disk myself and proceed accordingly but why bother if the hard work has already been done?  The way I see it is I would be  perfectly willing to purchase a copy of OSX if I had the ability to install it on any hardware I so choose like I can with pretty much any other OS.  Cmon, really Mr. Jobs.  If OSX were released to the general public, third party companies (ie; hardware vendors) would be responsible for developing kexts to support their hardware.
Installing OSX on a non Mac computer is not a task to be taken lightly though.  Unless youre using a straightforward method on a tried and true setup like on a Dell Mini 1011 or an MSI Wind, youre probably going to be beating your head against a wall trying to get your stubborn hardware to work.  I initially tried installing OSX on my netbook several months ago and gave up because I couldnt get a lot of things working, specifically the battery status which is pretty important for a netbook I think.  But then another Hackintosh enthusiast came to my aid and told me how to get the battery status working properly.  One by one, Ive now sorted out all of the hardware issues except for two which I can certainly live without; ethernet and graphics acceleration.  Im willing to bet that the ethernet would be easy to fix but I havent been inclined to spend any time working on it because I literally have yet to plug my netbook into an ethernet cable and Ive owned this computer for several months.  I have Wifi and when Wifi is not available, I tether to my Android phone, but thats a hack for another day ;)
Unfortunately, my netbook uses an Intel GMA3150 graphics chip and there are no drivers available for it yet.  However, using Meklorts Netbook Installer, Ive been able to achieve proper resolution.  Its not like Im going to be doing any gaming or intense photo or video editing on a netbook, so its not like hardware acceleration is really necessary.
Now that Im satisfied with the performance of my netbook running OSX, there is still one thing missing to make my Hackintosh legit: a glowing apple logo!
Sure, I slapped a white apple sticker on the back of my netbook, but its just not the same as having an actual apple inlay.  I just bought a lid from a broken G4 Powerbook to snag the clear plastic Apple logo from for $10 on Ebay.  Once I get it, the process is pretty straight forward.  I just disassemble my netbooks screen, route out the hole for the Apple logo, glue in the Apple and reassemble.  There may be a couple extra steps in there but it should be that easy.  I should be getting it in a couple days.  After I finish the mod, Ill post some pictures.

I just partially disassembled the screen on my 1015pe to see what I was up against and it came apart so easily, and went back together so perfectly that its almost as if they made these computers to be modded by hackers like me!



Available link for download